Saturday, December 14, 2002

For Whom?

(**Before I start, I would like to say that I wasn't trying to be offensive for anything. I was just thinking about what certain actions really meant.**)

One of my friends invited me to this rock concert at this cafe, which I went and enjoyed very much. The music was great and the atmosphere was fantastic. Young people dancing to the music and jumping from chairs and the usual dancing scene. The music was very loud and faintly reminiscient of Linkin Park.

Also, I have to point this out. The guy who wrote the music is very talented. 16 and he has accomplished alot musically, writing those rock songs and playing the electric guitar very well. The rest of the band members were great too. Overall, the whole thing was like a rowdy rock scene. But it was a Christian rock concert and the band was a christian band.

Now don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Christianity and Christian music. In fact, I really enjoyed the music. But I didn't enjoy it as Christian music, I enjoyed it as rock music. That, I feel, was something wrong.

At first, I tried to go along with the music, like the girls in the front row, jumping and dancing like they were at Creed's rock concert. But I was held back as I kept reminding myself that this was Christian music.Can I enjoy it as rock music? Later, I let go and followed the girls in the front row dancing wildly. And I forgot that it was Christian music.

My point, essentially, is that, I believe this concert is more of an excuse to have fun, just like the band is capitalising on a captured market to further their music

I look at the first row girls and I think clubbers. Did they really stop and actually read the lyrics and thought of what it meant? Were they thinking 'cool, I can show off my dance moves' instead of 'what the band is singing really made sense'?

Similarly to the band. Did they write this music with their hearts more in the lyrics than in the music? Did they concentrate more on how it sounds than what it means? Did they use the word 'Christian' in front of the title 'rock group' so as to build on a captured market?

I cannot help but think so. This may offend some people, but this is what I think and I will be honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home