Wednesday, March 26, 2003

Before I start this entry, I would like to point out that I am not pro-war, I am not anti-war. I am pro-action

A question of targeting the right issue?

Several more people died in the war today.

My stand on the war is basically very simple. Do what you have to do to keep your country safe. GWB took that oath when he was sworn into office, that is his main constitutional job. If Saddam is a threat to the US, then it's his job to defend his country. I believe in this case, war is more for self defence than a pre-emptive strike. Heck, the UN would never approve of the war if it were pre-emptive.

I was very disturbed to read that Jill believes that the war for GWB’s own ego trip. It disturbs me even more when I realise that many people are judging the war based on their judgement on GWB. Firstly, it is VERY unlikely that GWB is doing this for his own ego; war is definitely something that can affect his re-election. So why the heck would he want to do this just to boost his ego? That observation is so unfounded. Secondly, I believe that it is alright that people want to form judgement of GWB. But the issue here is about the need for stopping Saddam’s use of weapons of mass destruction, not GWB. If you allow your personal judgements to come in the way of evaluating the need for war, you are not approaching from the correct angle.

I stated that I am not pro war. But I am pro-action. I am pro doing something to prevent any form of attack from Iraq in the future. There is no question at all that Iraq possesses WoMD. Saddam himself has admitted it and there was even a map shown where the various types of WoMD are located, amongst them chemical and biological weapons. A tape was shown of 2 Iraqi soldiers talking about their WoMD shown by Colin Powell to the UN. The UN weapons inspectors also pointed out that there are WoMD in Iraq, so the point is that there is no question at all that they possess those weapons.

Not only do they posses them, Saddam has also used them. Not on other countries (yet), but within his own country. After the Gulf war, he gassed a city in the Northern part of Iraq, which refused to participate in the war. If the leader (or should I say dictator) of a country turns and kills his own people, he has no qualms about doing that to other countries as well. That is what makes him dangerous. I would rather the US go to war now rather than people in the US being attacked because nobody did anything to capture Saddam and the WoMD.

Other options? Many people disagree that going to war is the only way out. What about a peace treaty? Or talk it out? The truth is that there was a peace agreement which Saddam did not comply. What other choice is there?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home