Monday, July 01, 2002

Brazil

The title says it all. Brazil is victorious!!! Yay! The deserved winners of the World Cup.
Alright! Brazil WON!!! Alright! Am so happy and such. Although that happiness was marred by something else. Shall say it later, because I am dedicating this time to Brazil. I think Ronaldo is so fantastic. He made a promise before the world cup that he was gonna be top scorer and to repay those who believed in him by being top scorer and he did. I admire his will power and determination. And his soccer skills are second to none and it has already been proven internationally.

Overall, Brazil played very well and Cafu was a great leader. I think Marcos is a pretty good goalkeeper too, although he does get overshadowed by other big names like Kahn and Seaman, think his performance was quite good. At least, better than the Korean goalkeeper. Bleh. Was boasting about how he did not miss a penalty kick since 1998. Well, in your face, buddy. How did that 11 second goal from Hakan Sukar blow your mind? And what a stupid mistake of running out of that goal area to allow Sukar to score at an open goal post. And he wants us to believe that he is a good goalkeeper. When pigs get thin.

I think Rivaldo is too wrongly accused also. Although he had tried some threatical stuff to fool the ref, he hasn't been doing that since then and he has been doing a pretty good job. However, everytime I read the papers, Rivaldo is being linked to that so called 'oscar winning performance'. Think it's damn unfair, because they forgot all his brilliant performance in football to dwell on one flaw. He isn't the only one to do that so why pinpoint him? What about the guy who stepped on his chest yesterday? Why didn't he get any criticism at all? I am not a hard core Rivaldo fan, but I think he is good. And he shouldn't be pinpointed for a thing that almost everyone does anyway.

I think soccer players should be judged by their soccer skills and merit and not how they look and stuff. I know I sometimes do make comments on how ugly the koreans are (they look like some villian from a show). But I try not to keep grinding it again and again. I try to think that I comment in jest and not maliciously. But yesterday, keep hearing comments from everywhere on how horrible ronaldo is and how sucky his hairstyle is really got me a little annoyed. It subsided soon enuf but I sometimes wish I don't have to hear it, maybe not so maliciously. Sam keeps saying that 'brazil sucks' and that was fine at first, but later, it got to me. So I tried to just drown it out, so that I don't hear and I don't get affected by it. Think she most probably meant it in jest or something like that. As far as I can remember, I did not critisise Germany in an offending way. I don't know. Maybe I shouldn't have said 'nice miss' when the german players cannot score. In fact, i think the german fan beside me was so affected that he seems to chuckle when I said something about the match. Okok. Won't dwell on it anymore. The world cup is an event that unites, not divides (that's why what ahn jung hwan did was totally unacceptable)

Ok, shall sign in with the post world cup depression in a few days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home