Wednesday, February 12, 2003

What a crazy 2 days I've had!

The company I'm working in is holding a Charity Exhibition in this really swanky Mandarin (I always have trouble spelling this word) Hotel. Anyway, I, of course, had to be there to help with the exhibition. To say the truth I'MVERYVERYVERYEXCITED! Ok. Maybe because the press would be there, and you know the fascination the public has for anything remotely related to the media.. Ahem, not that I've never been close to the media before, in fact, when I was quite young ...

Ok.

So, was busying around trying to get things ready when my boss came over and told me 'You'll have to be the MC. Your job starts in 3 minutes'. I went 'what? Of course, I had no choice but to do it. And then the 367 things I had to remember came in. 'Ven. Shi would not give a speech', 'You have to address the Chinese Ambassador as His Acescency (sp?), that is the only correct way to address him', 'Remember to call Director Chen up to say a few words, after His Acescency, beefore Ven. Shi' Yada Yada Yada.

Of course, I screwed the whole thing up.

Venerable would not give a speech, his manager told me. So I went and said he'll give a speech. I must say that Venerable is very kind. He seemed taken aback for a while, then was like, 'You want me to give a speech?', I was like 'yes?' and he consented. I mean, no airs about him. Of course, his manager looked as though he would scratch my eyes out. He came over and said 'why did you do that for'. In a very sarcastic mood, mood, I would have replied 'well, I'm sorry. I just got this job 3 minutes ago, I had 298 things to remember and I am fricking nervous too. Of course I did that on purpose.'. But I did the right thing and apologised.

Also, His Ascency didn't look too pleased that I rushed through his introduction. May I say that when I'm nervous, I speak like a bullet train.

And oh, later, Venerable's manager came over to ask if I'm okay and apologise to me for overreacting. Hah. Thanks a lot for letting me worry for 2 hours whether I did something so wrong that I may be persecuted.

And later, this guy came up to me and was like 'you look pretty nervous just now'. Talk about an understanding person. I could have hugged him right there and then for speaking outright my fears when the rest of the people were keeping quiet and pretending the thing never happened. He then wished me a happy advanced V day. :)


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home