Monday, October 20, 2003

The Maksim Connection

Ok, I need to update on the Maksim showcase I went to on Friday.

It rocks. Maksim rules. :D:D

Thank you Mike for inviting me :D

Met Mike on Friday to go to the Maksim showcase at Embassy, and Maksim was amazing. Oh yeah, had wanted to go to dinner first, but unfortunately, I didn't know Stix closed down... haha, so didn't eat. Went to Embassy and there were so many people there!



Was contemplating whether to move nearer to the stage near the mosh pit sort of place, but stood a little further from the stage, thinking maybe the mosh pit was like out of bounds. Imagine my horror when the MC came on stage and said ‘maybe you guys would like to come nearer to the stage!’. Haha… I was too far away and the people just rushed forward, so I thought I’ll stand a little further behind on the steps and get a better view anyway. But I was so far from Maksim!!! Whine whine… It’s like, if I stood in the mosh pit, it’s up close and personal…with Maksim.

Oh well.

Before he actually appeared, some violin performance was on, and we saw him in the 2nd storey of Embassy, in the VIP room sort of place. It’s like a teaser; we could just make out the outline of Maksim, his silhouette, but it was a looong time before he came down. And when he did, he exuded so much charisma, and he’s damn tall. :)

Maksim was amazing. It totally blew my mind. I was praying hard before he appeared, that the performance would not disappoint, cause you know how some singers are very good on CDs, but suck in real life? Yeah. I wasn’t disappointed in his performance. If anything, I’m totally blown away.

Intensity, Passion are totally inadequate to describe the performance. It’s more than that. There was this force, and striking intensity which he plays the pieces with that draws the crowd in together in his world and made us all mesmerised. Mesmerised. His first piece, Flight of the bumblebee, was simply mind blowing. If you think his playing was fast forwarded in the MTV, you have to think again. It’s real. His fingers are that fast. And he plays with so much intensity. Every once in a while he’ll look and stare off in the distance, like there’s only him and the music. And the striking precision.

I was thinking that it’s already quite impossible to move one’s fingers at that speed, much less play the piece with such precision and accuracy.

And then he played 4 more pieces, and with the passion and emotion he puts into each piece, it’s just such an incredible and beautiful performance. In a way, I can imagine how he felt. The way he plays the final chords with a flourish and force. Because that’s how I always tried to play the organ…with a grand, dramatic ending. When you end the piece of music, you should be breathless, like you’ve just finished a journey, and it should be exhilarating. You should be so energetic. You should feel like you’ve just landed back on earth after flying up in the skies.

I don’t know… I can’t really put it in words. It is something one feels.

And because of that, he attracts me so much, and also why I respect him so much. Because he’s the embodiment of the kind of person I want to be.

Ok.
On another note, I am pissed. Haha… change of tone huh. It’s because I wanted to take a photo with Maksim, or at least get his signature or something. Went up to the VIP area after the performance and tried to talk to him. There was this barricade around the room and I could just see Maksim outside the room, taking photos with some people. He was a mere 5 metres away from me! And we approached the bartender, asking him if we could go talk to Maksim or get his autograph, apparently we went too late… which is true. Cause at first, we thought we couldn’t go upstairs, as it’s a VIP area, and he’s maybe doing some press event thing. Turns out he was taking photos with people who went upstairs. So I was already quite pissed with myself for not going up there sooner. Then this stupid woman who didn’t allow me to go in, met her friends, and ushered her friends in! And her friends were the last people to take a photo with Maksim, before he left.

I’m damn pissed about that, I tell you.

But I won’t let it mar my experience. I had a great time, I saw one of the most talented pianist in the world perform, and I was so near to him.

Maksim rules.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home