Saturday, March 13, 2004

I'm in the mood for love... in a sense

Have I told you lately that I'm in love with Wong Kar Wai?

Maybe I haven't. So there. I'm in love with Wong Kar Wai.

I've just watched In the Mood for Love and I'm utterly amazed at the really intense, yet subtle kind of longing and affection in the movie. At the end of the movie, you feel as though you've gone on this really long journey with Tony Leung and Maggie Cheung and it really breaks your heart.

I watched half of the movie on Thursday, and the other on Friday. After watching the first half, I told myself. All WKW needs to have now, is a sad ending, and I think I will love this film for the rest of my life. That's what the whole movie is about, I think. It's not about happily ever afters. It's not about the hero always getting the heroine. It's about lost chances, fleeting moments, the inevitability of fate, I guess, in a sense. Those lost moments.

It's about repressed passion, and WKW does it so beautifully in the nuances of the film. Tony's hand reaching for Maggie's. Even the dinner scene screams of so much underlying tension, it's amazing.

I like the camera action too. It always seems that the audience is a voyeur, looking into the lives of these 2 secret lovers, in a sense. And the thing is, all throughout the movie, the relationship of the 2 'lovers' did not even pass the hand holding stage. That's why I love this movie so much. I think it's amazing how so much can be told through so little interaction. This is the kind of movie where even a shot of cigarette smoke floating over Tony's head has a lot of meaning in it.

It's almost like a lesson in the art of silent seduction.

And the ending of the movie totally breaks my heart.

That era has passed.
Nothing that belonged to it exists any more.

He remembers those vanished years.
As though looking through a dusty window pane,
the past is something he could see, but not touch.
And everything he sees is blurred and indistinct.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home