Sunday, January 25, 2004

Round 2! Second day of New Year. Lions' Dance and some stuff abt Sharks fin.

And I can't remember what I did.

Slowly now...

Er... I really can't remember.

Oh ya! In the morning, the Lion Dance company came to our place. They've been coming since as long as I can remember. Haha. Dad 'hires' them every year. But every year I look forward to it. It's really fun. This year's lion is yellow orange. Heh. And the main dancer wore.... New Balance shoes... haha. Such an anticlimax. Hoho. But I love the way this art form is performed. It's beautiful, the way they dance and the little nuances in their dance that makes it so interesting and real. And the atmosphere too :) The drums, the cymbals.... I love it. This year's mandarin orange art is the word Prosperity... In chinese, of course.

Went to Godma's place at Sengkang for her Abalone and Sharks fin dinner. Hahahah. It was a little joke of ours. Hm. I've never really said what I felt abt sharks fin. (Keep in mind this is by no means meant to be offensive)

Ok. I've always been quite partial to sharks fin soup. I think it's delish. In some restauarants anyway. (Am quite partial to the one from Wen Yan Lou) Anyhow. I'm going to have to just say that if I have a wedding dinner, and I had a choice, I would not serve sharks fin soup. The influence comes partially from this post card that I got, which depicts a typical wedding dinner shot. However, on the tables and floors, there are shark carcases lying all around the tables and floors. And the people were just nonchalantly sitting there eating, laughing. Like they don't even see it. And it bothers me a lot. And I read it somewhere that, by itself, sharks fin isn't even delicious. It's the other seasoning, the soup base, the other ingredients of the sharks' fin soup that taste good. Not the sharks' fin itself. But it's served up because it is considered to be a delicacy.

Isn't it ironic? It isn't even tasty, yet people are clamouring to eat it because the ingredients are tasty. And it is endangering the sharks. People should really see how brutally the sharks were killed for their fins.

So I've come to this conclusion that when I'm having a dinner, and I had a choice, I would omit that.

Anyhow... I've digressed :) Dinner at Godma's was good. The parentals and godparentals sang karaoke. I hung out in the study with Alex, Jackie and David. Study is actually a misleading word. Haha. It's actually their multimedia entertainment place. Hahah... Listened to mp3s and watched vids and surfed the net.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home