Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Meeting with Mr. Lo from HK

Today was nice.

In the morning we had a meeting with a Mr. Lo from HongKong who is very kind to donate to our school a plaque of the Business School Logo with gemstones. It's pretty. :) Had a presentation from Prof Tang, our dean. And elderly Mr. Lo from HK shared some of his experience with us. He has a chain of gemstone boutiques in Singapore, HK and other parts of Asia.

You know Mr. Lo? I was introduced to him. And because I was too far away to shake his hands or anything, when I was introduced to him, he did this 'gongxifachai' kind of hand gesture to me. Hahaha. He's damn nice I tell you.

I'm pretty amazed by Mr. Lo actually. He's about 81 years old and pretty frail looking. But he speaks good english, better than some of the students I know around school. And he's only started speaking english only 3 years ago! It's amazing I tell you. His mind is still so clear and so alert. I wonder if an businessman's/entrepreneur's mind is necessarily more alert. He's a very nice man too. Gives us advice and asked us to speak to him if we have any queries. I was later to know that he's the owner of Suntec Investments or something like that. And he has no airs about him at all. So humble.

So we had lunch beside Conference Room B. Not bad. Prof Tang sat with us and talked to some of us. He's damn funny too. I would really miss him when he's going off in June. Hm. But there is no news of a new incoming dean yet.. Hmm.. that in itself is quite messed up, I think. Maybe Prof Mak will take his place?

Anyhow. I had a quite lousy (maybe it reflects my stupidity) handshake incident. Which I will not say.

Ricky Sim and Samuel Chia for Acad Week // Wedding planner in training

Anyway, later for Acad Week, we had --

Mr. Ricky Sim -- MD for Chesterton International
Mr. Samuel Chia -- MD NYDC

And it was a wonderful event. In many ways.

1) Mr. Sim has kindly sponsored food for our event. Of course, I wasn't expecting something so... grand. I mean, in terms of reception the past couple of days, and even lunch with Mr. Lo the VIP this morning, we had something simple. Plastic plates and all. But for this reception that Mr. Sim sponsored, we had gorgeous table placement ornaments, flowers. Glass plates. Champagne glasses. And get this. 5 waiters. I sure wasn't expecting that. I sure wasn't expecting a 1k reception sponsorship.

2) I was talking to Mr. Sim and it turns out that he's a really really nice guy. I mean seriously. He was asking me what I wanted to be when I came out to work, and I told him I was planning a career in wedding planning. And he was like, Oh I know somebody in the field! I could link you up with the person!. So nice eh? :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home