Monday, January 12, 2004

What a rush! -- A post on Academic Week

Listening - As by George Michael and Mary J Blige

Before you read this, click here. This was what we've been working on.

Exciting.

Yesteday was day 1 of the event I spent my hols planning with Ken, Tyng, Jessica and Larry. Academic Week and we invited, for guest speakers --

Mr. Wong Ah Long -- CEO Suntec City Developments
Mr. James Chia -- Director of Sales Op South Asia Cisco Systems (Formally MD of Cisco Systems Singapore)
Mr. Douglas Abrahms -- MD Pallarax Capital Management

In a thoroughly geeky kind of way, I was starstruck. These are people whom I really look up to and there they are like 2 feet away and I get to talk to them. Wow. It's not unlike seeing TCS actors or actresses on the street, but this is different, because they are what I'm working to be like. Okay, maybe entrepreneurs like them.

The event (as usual) was a little slow to start. There was a little miscommunication about the timing, so by the time the speakers were here, there are only a handful of audience. It didn't look good. But as the program progressed, more and more people came in, and we got a pretty respectable amount of audience. And the good thing about this is that the people in the audience are genuinely interested to learn and ask questions at the Q and A. In fact, our Q and A was so by far one of the better ones I've seen in all the seminars I've attended. Not that I've attended a lot. :D

I was thinking, if I weren't the one planning this event, I might not have voluntarily come to this evening's speech. And what a lot of information I'd have missed out on. It's amazing, it's like a lifetime of experience placed in front of you for you to learn. And it was frankly, very very enriching. I particularly liked Mr. Douglas' talk on 'Why Entrepreneurship?'. In a sense, it was a more popular topic because it's relavant to what we are facing now. Not that the other speakers are not relavant. I thought Mr. Wong's talk about making the right decisions very very true and useful. And Mr. Chia's talk on A Corporate Career very relavant for us students.

I got to talk to Mr. Douglas after the event, and I found what he has to say very inspiring and very true. You miss 100% of the chances you give up on. Why not take the risk? Anyhow, he gave me his name card and told me to email him.

Anyhow, I've decided not to say explicitly what Mr. Yeo Keng Joon (ie Mr. BizSchool Alumni President) had er... 'said'. I don't know... said? asked? Anyhow, what he had communicated about what Mr. Wong Ah Long had probably revealed to him. I don't want to be hualed up and sued for deframation or anything. Haha. It has to do with a certain 600 bucks sponsorship and food.

Dang. I told Tyng to get better food.



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home