Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Astereotypical nerd with an inferiority complex

Yesterday I did this quiz, which reveals if you are a nerd. Apparently, I am, but I am an astereotypical nerd, which means -

You are a nerd--that is, an intelligent-yet-socially inept and unpopular
individual who exhibits excessive interest in normally mundane, oscure, trivial,
and/or otherwise unpopular pursuits--whose physical appearance and/or mannerisms are not stereotypically nerdy.

So... Is that good or bad? I honestly don't know. Actually I think it's bad, but what the hey. I think it's true actually. I actually like going to the library. I like learning things. I love to read. I secretly like exam periods when I am studying in the library with a stack of stuff, because I'm doing something useful. When I see someone carrying a brand name that I like, I feel happy and excited for them. If my film art lecturer gave me a huge stack of readings, I'd probably be happy to read it. Ditto with any literature module. I probably am not a nerd in the way that I would want to carry a calculator with me everywhere I go, or have pocket protectors, but I guess I could classify as a nerd with all my interest in the mundane/unpopular... only, like the quiz said, I don't look or act like one. So I'm an astereotypical/pseudo nerd.

And the funny thing? People don't see that. I may procrastinate, I may be really vain. I can be shallow, and little things make me mad all the time. But that doesn't mean I'm just a useless bimbo whose major aim in life is to coordinate her nail colour with her notebooks. There are people who tell me 'You don't look like the type who volunteers', 'She is such a regular clubber who like, clubs all the time' etc. Sometimes it frustrates me, because I feel like I'm stereotyped into this party, have fun, flunk hard sciences, coordinate nail colours kind of role. I'm not. I may be some traits some of the time, all of them some of the time, but not all of them all of the time.

So maybe you don't know me, idiosycrasies and all. I've also never really felt secure enough to let people know what I'm really like. I think and say the weirdest things, but when I'm with people, I refrain from just speaking what I think. Some people just don't know what to make of it when I say weird stuff.

I try to be sincere in what I say, because after some time, the truth will come out anyway. Some friends have told me I sometimes overuse the word 'best', like when I say 'You're the best!!!' but... I don't understand, cause I mean it when I say it. (Unless I'm saying it while simultaneously rolling my eyes haha)

Sometimes I want to do nice things for my friends, to thank them for just being such a great person. Many times, these plans fall through. I wanted to make cards, in the end I settled for post cards cause my cards are awful. I wanted to send Christmas greetings, but sent them late because I couldn't get stamps. I wanted to make dessert for some friends when we had this gathering... in the end it didn't work out because the jelly came out all soggy. This is enough to give a girl an inferiority complex. (Martha Steward I'm not, that's for sure) Then I feel bad, cause I could tell my friends how important they are to me.

Sigh. This entry has gone on long enough. I'm going to sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home