Saturday, July 23, 2005

MAD couple of days

Camp MakingADifference was a blast!

Monday I met up with Dan after work (he was late again! :/... I was crying. Basically I only get 2 reactions when I'm mad. I either ignore you or I get cry-y. I don't do the whole blow up thing. He was late cause he fell asleep... I can't blame him much, cause he didn't get much sleep the night before...) Anyway, we had dinner, then met Mel and WX to shop for the auction things for the camp. It was fun! Cause we were choosing the cheapest things to buy, and calculating the quantity, to see if it's worth it to buy in bulk or not. Dear was really nice to accompany us around, helping me push the trolley (though he claims he did it cause it was fun to push the trolley around :P) I bought a whole lot of chocolates for the colleagues, as it was my last day at internship on Tuesday. Oh!! And I REALLY wanted the heart shaped Guylian chocolates, and even after dropping a lot of hints to Dan to get it for me, he didn't! :/ Haha... shopping was fun though.

Tuesday was my last day at work... I think I'll blog about my internship seperately.

Wednesday was the SMP camp. I think to put to put the entire experience into words will make this entry really long! :P Honestly though, I think the entire camp crew has put in so much effort to make this camp work. The evening to late night meetings, the recee (even though I wasn't there ...), the buying of logistics at Giant, the packing of the camp booklet, the cooking of food for the auction, transporting the logistics from the car to the multi purpose hall, lugging around 60 eggs and a portable radio, staying awake after all the campers have went to bed to debrief.

I suppose most people won't appreciate what's done until they have organised a camp themselves to see firsthand what's going on. And detractors can sprew rubbish all they want till the cows come home but that won't change the fact that there are people out there who see the amount of work we put in, appreciate us for it, and thank us for our work.


It may just be a simple message, but she took the time to write all the camp crew personalised messages. I think the camp crew were all very happy that someone actually makes an effort to write something nice to all of us. Not only her actually, mentors from Swiss Cottage also wrote us something. I think it's very nice that some people actually appreciate things like that.

I think it's easy to get dejected when you have unappreciative people.



Anyhoo, 1st day was good, auction and games went pretty smoothly, I think. Except for the 'I don't like corn' incident which had me bristling with pissed-off-ness (hehe, I like the word 'bristle', very cartoonish) (Sorry Mel, I know she's your friend, but I can't help but still feel that it's a little selfish la...) OH!!!! Mel got caught on this variety show thingy!!! HEeeheee... I think I know what show it is... shall remind all of you to catch it when it's on! Hahaha... I hope the camera won't end up catching me in the frame as well though, cause I was carrying a huge orange Happy Meal balloon. Oh I saw Kelvin too, with his girlfriend, so it was very weird.

The night walk was fun, I got to be a facilitator for the first time ever. I've been OG leader or facilitator in all the camps I've been in... always a camper or camp crew/organiser... so this is a pretty new experience for me. Brought the WS mentors around... overall they were pretty alright, save for this one guy who irritates me so much cause he refuses to put in effort when everyone was trying hard, and they were being held up cause he refuses to play the game properly. Very irritating!

I got a little weird-ish... I don't know what's that about. Mainly felt neglected by him. I don't know why either... Thanks Mel and Wenyi, for sitting with me when I was really down, for the listening ear, for the advice, for the reassuring. =) What would I do without you guys :D PuaySan too, came over, asked me if everything was okay. To the guys too, they didn't really know how to ask me what's wrong I guess... so they were just asking me if I was okay. Haha... OMg I'm such an attention seeker! Hah.

Celebrated Daniel's and SoonTien's bday... Forget about cutting the cake, we all just attacked the cake. We had fruit spritzer too!

Went to shower, then went to meet Dan for supper. He got lost while trying to locate YWCA, while in the meantime, I got stuck at YWCA, waiting for him. He found YWCA in the end, but I was at PS already. In the end though, he found me. Drove down to Serangoon area to eat nasi lemak.

The night was kind of eventful, I guess I won't really elaborate on it...



2nd day!!! It's time for YCTO! (We kind of overslept, and missed the morning dip...)
Guess what we saw on the way to Esplanade!



Mel and I are afraid of GIANT cockroaches!!! Haha...
We stopped by La Senza to get lingerie also! Hehe..

Hm... overall the station was alright, I guess. Cause no school was as good as we were last year!! It got a little irritating when we had to practically keep persuading and forcing the schools to be a little more participative in our station, cause somethimes there are only so much you can prod, the rest should be up the mentors themselves.

Nevertheless, it was a fun experience, sitting with Mel at the open space between Citylink mall and Esplanade. Very tired, falling asleep, thinking about stuff, missing him...

The skit was eventful too... I think it's actually quite amazing that so many groups came up with such interesting advertising skits despite the many 'demands' we placed on them. My favourite was Swiss Cottage's (the boobs thing was too funny!), WestSpring (quite funny at times), the school which made a skit using Pocky and the tree, and the REALLY DAMN FUNNY one using Men's Health. That skit was so funny!!! I was really laughing so much... especially when the guy fell onto his balloon stomach. HAha.

Of course there are some unpleasant incidents with one of the school groups which resulted in Mel being upset. But to be honest, I do think all of us put in a lot of effort already, and if they want to complain, they are just asking too much.

Anyhoo! Don't care! HAha :p

The camp crew 'skit' was fun! I was only acting as a normal mentee, so I didn't have much lines, but the rest were really fun! Like Attention seeking Hexiang, Beng Soon 'Royston' Tien, and Lian 'Apple' Mel. Hehehe.

The river crossing... well. Let's just say I think our year's mentors did a far better job! No hints, and we came up with the idea ourselves. Our box was so much smaller. We took 3 hours, they needed 4 hours. In fact, we were quite slack about the rules of the game, cause if we were strict, I think they'd not be able to finish it in 4 hours.

In short we rock la :P

Day 3!!! MEl WY and I overslept again. Hoho... went down to the workshop, and they were all writing notes, so we took pictures!!!

Here are some I like!






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home